Counselling and Coaching Skills
Mental health orientation and a deficit model often helps with issues of career indecision, depression, anxiety, family pressure, independence, individuation, coping with school, family, and /or workplace stress.
Focus = Past to Present
Positive and strengths-based model; action/task-oriented Often helps with issues that seek to uncover
motivation, enabling the client to take action; getting unstuck; concerned with awareness.
Focus= Present to Future
Mental health orientation and a deficit model
Often helps with issues of career indecision,
depression, anxiety, family pressure,
independence, individuation, coping with
school, family, and/or differences and Similarities
- Coaching is action-orientated vs counselling is coping orientated.
- Coaches want to help you recognize what you think vscounsellors also want to help you realize how you feel.
- Coaching helps you set and achieve goals vscounselling helps you recognize and solve your problems in life.
- Coaches focus exclusively on the present and future vssome counsellors focus mostly on the present and the future, others on the past.
- Coaches are trained in helping clients move forward in life vscounsellors are also trained in human development, sexuality, family dynamics and mental health conditions.
- Counsellorscan also recognize if it depression, adult ADHD or another mental health disorder that is actually holding you back.
HOW IS IT USEFUL????
Both coaching and counselling can help you identify and work towards life goals. they work to help you move forward in your career, relationships, and home life. both help you with identifying core beliefs and changing your perspective. they both have the goal of helping you reach your potential.
Coaches and counsellors both are important because of the following:
- both coaches and counsellors want to help you find to create a life you feel better about
- they both create an atmosphere of trust, non-judgement, and support
- both help you identify what is holding you back
- both counselling and coaching focus around good listeningand asking you good questions.
- both counselling and coaching help you to be more resilient.
- they both want you to find your own answers that work for you
- both coaching and counselling can help you identify and work towardslife goals.
- they work to help you move forward in your career, relationshipsand home life
- both help you with identifying core beliefs and changing your perspectives.
- they both have the goal of helping you reach your potential
- coaches and counsellors both encourage self-discovery.
Coach Hina Soni
International Certified Career Coach
Personality Development Trainer